Almost nearly perfectly content.

Tonight was great. I finally have my own kitchen and now I finally have my own food to cook. I went shopping yesterday (which will have to wait till the next story to tell about those adventures) and bought a few staple items. Included in those things was an avocado which I was given. I decided tonight to check that avocado for ripeness and found it to be the perfect time for it to be devoured. Then that's what I decided to do, I cut it up and put it on a plate. Then I realized I had nothing else to put on it. . . until it hit me like a speeding train, "I have onions I can put with it." Then I realized I can also put some of my diced tomatoes with it to to make a salsa. After mixing it all up and being ready to eat I realized something else. . . who would want to eat it just like this by itself. Here's where it gets really exciting. I got out my flour and salt and baking powder, mixed it in a bowl and made tortillas. It was fantastic. I haven't felt this self reliant in a long time. I felt as though all my training from Southern Village (SAU half-way homes ;O), Tchad and Honduras are coming together. I have proof that I have learned so much from those years. After I made my five mini tortillas I sat down and had a tasty little meal made from scratch (minus the tomatoes) and eaten by a self reliant girl. I should have taken a picture of it all before I ate it but it was good and I was enjoying it to much!

BUT WAIT, IT GETS BETTER!


After my supper my friends came over to help me bake some blueberry muffins, which turned out to be more of a blueberry loaf bunt cake muffin. We laughed and experimented. As my good friend Esther/Sarah and I realized, cooking is meant to be fun and a little bit off the wall. The results of putting us all together in my kitchen was fun, we all helped in some manner to put the ingredients together. Whether is was helping convert the temperature or mashing the banana or just offering moral support it was a team effort. To sum it up best I would recomend that you watch the following video. . .

Comments

kessia reyne said…
wonderful!

Oh wait. Did Elisa already say that? Hmm. I guess I should be original. Um. Okay, here goes:

"Great!"
Andrea said…
Wonderful!
Great!

Now it makes sense why your "salsa" was green on Skype. I was a little confused about that part, but I get it now. Well done. :) (That's my original phrase.)
Anthony said…
Love it. I might have to write down that recipe.
Rachel said…
My live is now complete.
I got on your fickr and checked out the pictures of your lovely flat! What a cozy little place...glad to hear that you are using that apron :) I bet it never dreamed it would be in Norway helpin you make salsa :) I miss cookin' with ya friend! Can i come and visit?? Will you make me tortillas?? Ahh good memories from Africa. Sonya and her wonderful tortillas...nothin' ever tasted soooo good! Love Ya my friend and miss ya
Missionary Girl said…
Sonya! I love reading about all your interesting experiences, so entertaining. But thought-provoking at the same time :)

To answer your question, things the second go-around are much more intense. I'm not so focused on learning the language and such, so I have more time to get involved in all the drama (exciting huh).

You're in my prayers, keep up the good work!

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

500 stories.