Words

We recently had an office worship talk about all of us being different parts of the body of Christ. Brett, who gave the talk, focused on how we all have different skill sets and attributes that contribute to the smooth functioning of RAW Impact. The verses are found in 1 Corinthians 12. To bring it all home and make it personal he had us write our name on a piece of paper and that paper got passed around with all of us taking turns writing something we see as an attribute or a word to describe their unique skill set and what they bring to the team etc.

As a words of affirmation-love language person I loved the worship exercise. It was, however, a bit uncomfortable when at the end the person to the left read aloud the list of words used to describe me. Only because sometimes. . . okay, always. . .I find it hard to be the focus of a room full of compliments. I don't mind being the focus of attention when I am calling the attention, just not when I don't have control and it's a pile of nice things being said about me. To get through it I didn't fully hear what was read about me. I spent that time focusing on what I was going to read about the person to my right.

I didn't really get a chance to soak in the words till later that day and even into the next. Here are a few of the words used: friendly, funny, energetic, kind and compassionate. These are beautiful words that I've heard before. I'm grateful for them, they make up a large part of who I am. They show that I am feeling at home among these friends/coworkers. Indeed they also show that I am in a job that I am thriving in.

There was one word used to describe me that has not been used before: strong. I don't think it was meant in reference to me being able to carry heavy things (but on that note I did one time carry the Christmas tree into the house from the top of Kendra's car) I think that the word was used in reference to who I am as a person. The more I think about it the more I hope and pray it is true. I want to be a strong person. I want to be a person with strong convictions, strong hope, strong love, strong ability to get through the situation, to make it to the other side of whatever may come-a typhoon or a field of flowers.

It's a scary thing to say about myself but I will accept the complement and wear it proud because it is not me that is strong, it's Christ in me. I have heaps of weaknesses but those aren't what they saw, they saw Christ working through the weaknesses to make me strong.

 Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. 
For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:9,10

I am strong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

500 stories.