Malaria; my constant companion

I always knew I had a stubborn streak. I’m not a red head, like Anne of Green Gables but I’m a younger sibling and as such I always want to win. Back in April when Southern had their outgoing SM retreat I went as an old SM to help Andrea out and that’s when I first met the person who I know I couldn’t survive this place without her. As part of our introductions and ‘getting to know you’ talking I proposed a challenge of sorts, more of a fun game of who will get malaria the most. It’s a way I deal with situations, make a game of it and have fun. So it was agreed we’d have a chart marking each case of malaria. I never imagined anyone getting it more than 2 or 3 xs. But as of Friday I was shown taking a strong lead of 6 with all the other competition back at a mere 3. Now some have stated that I am in such a rush to win that I’ve slept without a mosquito net and I’ve put up a sign offering my bare arms to any Joe mosquito. But I deny all accusations. Who in their right mind would wish malaria upon themselves? I’ve been here a little over 5 months and I’ve gotten malaria 6 times.

Alas, malaria has become my constant companion.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You're my hero. Six times. Wowzers. You take the cake. Get'um Tiger!
Ben Stitzer said…
I am proud of you...I guess... Well, Maybe you are just getting it out of the way and the rest of the time there you won't get it? Is that too optimistic? Hope not! And, I am rooting for you anyway! You've got a three point lead. Are there commentators for this sport...cause there should be!

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.