June 25

To talk French again. . .

I didn’t expect to speak it so soon or to a native French speaker in America really. But I’ve found myself talking out lour in French to no one but me just so I could hear it and keep it fresh in my mind. Then last week Jean-Jacques was here. He’s the camper who last summer taught me to count to 10 in French. When his mom camp to pick him up I talked to her in French. It’s so nice to be able to communicate in French. It’s still a little hard to believe that I can communicate by making those sounds :o) The bets part yet though has been yesterday. I knew that some people from the European Union were coming. I only knew that one of them spoke French and it was French from France. So when Jeff radioed and asked me if I wanted to meet the visitors and practice French I was ecstatic. I was even more excited when I found out it was four people who speak french not just one!
They are all from France. One lives in Georgia and works at a sister camp, Camp Cohutta, but the other three live in France. I think they were just as shocked as I was to be able to speak French, especially way out here in the middle of Alabama. It’s crazy! I love talking in front of the staff. It’s better than Spanish because less people speak it. Not that there’s anything to really talk about. Somehow it makes me feel like last year really happened in case anyone at camp doubted it. I feel that I have proof that I was there and learned things. I can’t believe how many words I’ve already forgotten I guess that happens when you go from talking it everyday at home to communicate to talking it every now and then out loud to yourself. . .
I’m loving all this French. They were quite impressed that I could speak it this well with only 9 months of exposure. They also enjoyed talking to someone with a pronounced African French accent. They in turn were quite sure they would be fluent if they could live in America for 9 months.

Comments

Sarah said…
I think I'm losing all my French...sad. You need to call me sometime so we can practice together. I'm on my last week of camp! And then off to Nebraska!

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.