family we are family . . . la la la la family. . .


When I picture Esther I picture a girl standing in the African sun with the warm wind blowing on her. She is wearing a red and white skirt with circular patterns on it and a blue shirt with strips. Ahh, the look of an African Student Missionary. This last weekend I was up at Union College in Lincoln, Nebraska and when I saw her for the first time in 6 months she was wearing jeans, a jacket and a stethascope! Esther in America!! Wow!
I had one of the greatest weekends in a LONG time. I got to hang out with Esther and tag team stories. We were at a potluck and some how we got on the story of the ruptured bowl where we gave a butt-load of ketamine and had to operate on him twice, and he still died. It felt good to tell a story with someone there to tag-team tell it with. If I fogot something she would mention it or if I remembered something she didn't I would stick that in there. Who cares if people were listening more or less because of two story tellers it was theraputic for us to talk it out. While I was there we realized that never before had we been able to talk so much to someone about our adventures --oh sure we were talking to each other-- but who cares. We relived our stories, caught up on old times and giggled at our miss-adventures and our crazy travels.
On Saturday night we called Liz because we figured it's imposible to have two of us girls together and not talk to the third! I can't believe how much I love those two girls. It's amazing the things we went through together and still care for each other. I hope to visit them both soon on the west coast.

Comments

Andrea said…
It's a terrible thing to point out with that story, but I don't know if you meant to make the pun about the ruptured bowl and a butt-load of ketamine...but it struck me as odd. Anyway, back to the POINT of your blog...I'm so glad you were able to catch up with an old Tchadian. It's nice to have someone who can remember the old world.

On a random note, I don't know what radio station my grandma is listening to, but they are playing that Disney song, "A whole new world." Weird. And I am slacking on my paper right now...ok bye.
Sarah said…
Sonya, mon ami...can hardly wait to get together again! It was the best weekend I've had since being back. I need to talk to you soon about details of getting to my house. My parents think it would be best for you to fly from Liz's to Seattle where we will be having Christmas at my grandparent's house (the grandma you met :) So if you can arrange the ticket, my parents would like to pay for it -- Christmas present to you. Let's talk soon.

Love ya more than Ama's fried potatoes...

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.