Who am I?

I was reading a book on my Kindle today that takes place in Scotland. They had a word in there that I didn't understand so I looked it up.

Here is the word:

reivers.

Here's how it was used in the sentence:

As powerful as we are, the Campbells are a prime target for reivers as any other clan.

Here's The New Oxford American Dictionary's definition:

Reive 
v. Chiefly Scottish
another term for REAVE.
reiv.er
Middle English: cariant of REAVE; the usual spelling when referring to the historical practice of cattle raiding on the English-Scottish border. 

WHAT AM I? WHO ARE MY PEOPLE? Did we steal cows? Am I a family of cow thieves? Things could get really sticky since my family resides in Texas. . .

I was a bit taken back. I thought maybe we had changed the spelling from Reeves. You know, those people who accidentally change the spelling of their names because of illiteracy, or at the Elise Island when people had their name changed. I had always been under the impression that I was from the good people who were Sheriffs, the shire reeves. Wikipedia says that they were good people who were judges or helped the king.

So I'm not sure who my people were. It's looking like we were cattle thieves, and not the sheriffs but I know who my people are now. They are good, God fearing people who care about others and love people. They respect different cultures and are willing to help others.

I'm glad to be a Reaves.

What does your name mean?

Comments

Andrea said…
You're Jean Valjean. haha. This was very entertaining to read. I think it's funny. One time one of my best friends in elementary and I were talking. She is a descendant of John Wilkes Booth, and I THINK (family rumors, not verified) I am a descendant of Abraham Lincoln. So we liked to imagine that we finally ended the bitterness after a century or so. :)
Andrea said…
Correction: According to Wikipedia, the last living descendent of Lincoln died in 1985 with no children. Darn. Maybe we are just very distantly related...

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.