November 4, 2018

Technology.

When I first lived outside of America I still had to use calling cards, a floppy disk to transfer emails from one computer to the next and I had personalized cd mixes from friends. That was in 2004.

Fourteen years later I video chatted with Tessa and Lou, two friends--at the same time, one was in Perth, Australia and the other was in Brisbane, Australia. We had a mostly clear conversation for an hour without any interruption. I was on my laptop and they were on theirs. It's crazy!

Another video chat with friends in Ohio. 

Living here in Phnom Penh I am quite spoiled. I have internet almost everywhere I go, from a coffee cart to my favorite dinner place, they all have wifi. Even if they didn't have wifi I get more than enough weekly data in my plan that costs all of $1. It's incredible! I am easily connected to EVERYONE! I can talk to my dad in Texas with a better connection than when I lived in California! It's incredible.

A few months back my phone was stolen and I was able to get an iphone 6 plus for under $200. It's a bit slow but no slower than my old iphone 6. My computer charger broke (I think it got fried) and my friend was able to get it fixed for $10 (even though he didn't let me pay).

I just watched Bohemian Rhapsody at a regular movie theater, the same weekend it was released in America. I paid $4.50 for a regular seat and $3.75 for a small sized popcorn (that's always where they get you! I could have gotten an American sized popcorn in a commemorative metal bucket and two cokes for $16 but who in their right mind would pay that much!)

Most everyone here in Phnom Penh has a smart phone. The common phone is an Android as they are user friendly and work well. They have space for two cell cards so you can have both major companies and make free calls to the same brand. Whatsapp is the most common form of professional communication but the regular guy loves his facebook messenger. It's what we use to communicate with each other while we have teams on the ground.

I listen to music via Amazon Prime. It allows me to download most music to my phone (for when I am traveling outside the city and have limited service) or I just listen straight from wifi/data when I'm in the city. I love it and it's the why I pay for prime services.

Overall my technology is better here in Phnom Penh then it was in Oakhurst, Ca. It's the perks of living in a capital city.


***Update***
The day after I wrote and published this the internet went down in the whole city. It was off an on all day today. I ended up leaving work early because I couldn't do any more work without it. *face palm*

Comments

Andrea said…
And that's why we don't feel too sorry for you while eating a donut in front of you on the other side of the earth.
Christoffer said…
Wow, that is incredible. I am impressed. It's very neat to read about your experience with tech! And I can see why donuts would be eaten in front of you guilt-free.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.