c. 1850 Christmas Eve. London, England

Dearest Mother,

I have just recently returned from London. I was there in the month of December on the night of Christmas Eve. It was quite a splendid evening. Shall I begin to tell you about my adventure of arriving in London?

I was to meet my two dear friends from the countryside at the eve of sunset. We had plans to meet and share in the tickets to enter into London together, I had to meet them because they had in their possession my ticket. With me dressed in my finest, I took the coach through town to arrive promptly at our prearranged time. However due to the congestion of carriages and other pedestrians my dearest friends were late. When I arrived at the meeting location and they were not there I decided to take matters into my own hands. You, Mother, know me well enough to know that I was bound to find an adventure no matter the circumstances. So when I saw a back door open into London, well Mother, I took it. I simply decided to act as if I knew what I was doing and walk in. This was the best idea I have had yet. I was thrown into a behind the scenes look at London, England. I found myself standing with a street performer behind the walls of the stages as he was between acts. He did not seem to think anything was amiss by my presence so he struck up a conversation with me. As I take pride in being able to blend in, I carried the conversation as far as I could before he had to return to the stage. Before he left I asked for directions to the other side of the wallso that I might return to the city (or arrive for the first time). Equipped with the proper directions in my head I turned and made haste to the city that awaited me!

Passing through the side door into London was perhaps the best way to enter in. I silently passed through the doors and became a Londoner in a matter of moments. With at least a half of an hour to myself before my friends arrived I had plenty of time to walk the stores and see the sights. I allowed myself to roam and think about many things, mainly about how beautiful everything was and how lovely my new dressed looked a midst all the splendor of the evening.

Once my friends arrived we took to the streets in search of the finest fare money could buy. I had a lovely mushroom and bread and something else that I do not seem to remember, I do however recall that it tasted scrumptious.

As the evening wore on we came upon Mr. Dickens and his butler outside of his house. It was quite interesting meeting the butler as he was behaving quite silly with his master being so near. Mr. Dickens seemed to be a kind man but he did not give much room to interpret his actions as he visited with his other friends who passed by the way.

Perhaps the most exciting part of the evening mother was when I met Mr. Sherlock Holmes. I was standing near the docks (yes, I know that is not a place a respectable lady should be) when he and Mr. Watson walked right past. Do you know what I said? I said, "Sherlock?" to which he stopped, turned to me and said, "Yes?" and much to my horror I replied, "Thank you". Oh dear, why on earth would I say that? It is as if I was not even thinking. It would have been a proper response had he solved a crime for me or even if he had picked up my tissue but he has done nither of those things. He behaved himself quite like a gentleman would and he tried to put me at ease, which is never an easy task. I did indeed run into him again later on and he was kind enough to remind me that I had thanked him already and need not do it again.

Before the evening was over I was able to pose for a few deguiero types. I think they turned out quite unreal, if I do say so myself.

All in all it was a lovely evening. I shall hope to return in the following years to enjoy another stroll around London on Christmas Eve. Perhaps you might be able to join me? I shall wait for your reply.

Much love,
Your daughter,
Sonya






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.