Where I've been

So this last week was a blast. Getting to work on the first house for the Every Piece Matters project (EPM), starting to get to know people at our partner school, SALT and the rain mixed with the dirt --topped off with dirt bikes. Best week ever. (Granted it was also my first week here so there wasn't much to top)

I've posted several pictures of me going somewhere on a dirt bike and not much about what I'm doing once I get there. So here is a tiny update.




One of the schools we are a part of is in the same village as our EPM houses. So I've been able to catch a ride this week with the group that was going out to build. We had more people than normal out on the site because of a couple from Oz being here to help build the first home. I actually went out to build twice this week and had a blast. I learned the Aussie words for some tools and got to work on the flooring for the house. In fact, here's an update video of the house:



It was filmed on a day that I wasn't there so don't worry about looking for me ;)

It's been good to work in the village. One of my goals this month and next is to simply hang out in the village with some families to develop a relationship and get some basic language skills. I work at the school only a couple mornings a week so in the afternoon on those days I will hang out until the building guys go back and I can get a ride with them. On Thursday I walked through the village, my heart and soul love the village life. It is very familiar to Tchad, Tanzania and even parts of Honduras. So of course I love the village! The simplicity. The peace and quite! I think the time I spend in the village is very important. I need to know the people I'm working with before any trust is built. I need to dive into the Khmer language and get dirty! The getting dirty part turns out to be much easier than expected, especially during the rainy season. . . .

I went to church today. It was potluck day again! Hurrah, the last Sabbath of the month is the weekend to go! The over all experience was a bit hard because I wasn't able to connect with anyone and by the time I made my way home I was feeling a bit alone in this busy city. I'm sure over time I'll get my courage up to talk to people more and in return people will see me again and again and hopefully reach out more. It's hard being the new person but I am determined to make this work because church is important to me.

I'm figuring out my daily life and patterns. I cooked my first meal at home (had to borrow oil and salt from next door because I forgot to pick up basic things for cooking. Also opening the lock on the door at the gate is too much work just so I can go to the corner Royal Mart and get some). I am getting used to the time zone and able to sleep past 3 and 4 am! When I went to the market yesterday to buy food I made some veggie ladies laugh with my Khmer but I used it! I'm working on figuring out the streets and where things are (it might take me a REALLY long time but by jove I will!) We had our second girls Bible study last night and that was AMAZING. I am very excited to get to know the other staff at RAW and our Friday night study is going to be great.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.