Trains

I am currently* sitting in a north bound Amtrak train towards Fresno. The sun is making it's way to the edge of the horizon and I'm reminded of the first time I made this trek north.


It was the summer of 2009. I had just finished my year as a boarding school chaplain at Georgia Cumberland Academy in Calhoun, Georgia. I was headed up to Camp Wawona for my first taste of Yosemite (yoh-sem-it-ee for all those Aussies) National Park. It's the place where I would be a part of a dream team programing staff that would have a lasting effect on my friendship. Side note: Chelsea, Anthony and I made dreams come true and magic happen at Wawona for some of the best summers ever. 

I remember sitting in the train 7 years ago thinking about my life and careers I'd had, wanted to have and was going to have. At the end of the summer I was moving to Norway for what I hoped was a dream job working with a mix of cultures and people. I'd still not found my niche in life. I remember talking to other passengers and them being impressed that I'd be spending my summer in Yosemite.

It's hard to believe it was only 7 years ago when it feels like a lifetime. In fact that reminds me of sitting in my bosses office at the end of that school year and having a conversation with him about where I wanted to be in 5 and 10 years. HA! This was never where I thought I'd be, yet I am glad this is how things went.

I was just telling my cousin about how amazing it is that God knew I'd need the last 4 years as a principal and teacher to give me the experience and background to do my current job better. Had I tried to plan out these last 7 years it would never had been to include principal-ing and several dead end plans. God knew I'd need experience in budgeting, working with a board, lesson planning, curriculum, running a school and teaching teachers. He's amazing to think so big and so vast and so incredible to care so much about people in Cambodia that He'd guide my life to include what it has so that one day I'd be able to help make a big difference in the lives of wonderful Khmer people.

Wow, what a thought trail just from sitting on a train and traveling north.

I can't wait to see what else God has in store for me.


*Technically I am sitting in a cafe in Phnom Penh but when I wrote this I WAS in a train.

Comments

Christoffer said…
I'm glad to hear you're where you need to be. Maybe I'll check that train out sometime. Probably not, but maybe.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.