Chain of command.

 "Don't worry about anything, instead pray about everything, tell God what you need and thank Him for what He has done." Philippians 4:6. 
At work if something catches my attention, if I have a complaint about the way something was done or should have been done. Even if it's just talking about something that annoys me I know that I don't have to share any of it to any other coworkers. In fact I shouldn't. It's usually things that they don't need to worry about. It could distract from our overall mission. It could encourage them to think negatively about another coworker or program. It will weaken the overall team. But I need my voice to be heard and I need to tell someone, especially someone who can do something about it.

So what do I do?

I take it to my supervisor. I tell him. I set aside time where I wont be interrupted or overheard and I put it all out there. The things I share are things that could be fixed, need to be fixed or are simply me expressing personal opinion. After I share them I leave it at that, trusting that my supervisor will handle it all. He will either take care of it personally or share it with his supervisor, the person who can see each department with an overall picture, something I don't see, and then he will take care of it. Sometimes, nothing happens because I was uninformed and there was a bigger picture, sometimes I was wrong and at times I can see how my conversation helped make things better in the organization.

Just like that. 

I tell my supervisor what I need or vent and it is handled.

Now why can't I be so trusting with God? It works the exact same way! I only need take an concern to God and leave it there! I don't need to fret about it, mull it over and talk about it with a million people. 


So what should I do? 

Take it to my God. Tell him. Set aside time where I wont be interrupted or overheard and put it all out there. The things I share are things that could be fixed, need to be fixed or are simply me expressing personal opinion. After I share them I leave it at that, trusting that my God will handle it all. He will either take care of it personally or share it with his Father, the person who can see each department with an overall picture, something I don't see, and then He will take care of it. Sometimes, nothing happens because I was uninformed and there was a bigger picture, sometimes I was wrong and at times I can see how my conversation helped make things better in the my life.


******************

This was a bit of a shock for me to realize this week. It seems over these last month I haven't been taking things to God. I have been worrying and internalizing things. I don't need to anymore. The same trust I have in people taking care of things I am now putting in God taking care of things. 

I trust that the things I bring before God will be heard and cared for in the best way possible. I will not doubt nor second guess the outcome. 

Here's to using the chain of command and trusting the Supervisor of the universe. 

Comments

Andrea said…
Wow! Great illustration, very clear. I want to put this into practice as well.
Kim said…
Some of my favorite advice about worrying: Matthew 6:25-34:

Matthew 6:25-34New International Version (NIV)

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?

28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.