November 6, 2018

It's 8:30 at night and I am sitting on my 7th floor balcony (unless you are an Australian or British, then it's the 6th floor) and I can see in the distance the lights of Olympic Stadium, there must be a soccer game tonight. The construction that happens near it must be finished for the day because I don't see the sparks of the welding.

To the right is a tall building with a giant letter K on the side facing me. It's top floor lights are on, they are red, green and yellow- I think they are trying to be festive in the workout room? The lights are on most nights. When I go to sleep the lights are still on but when I wake in the middle of the night it is dark, minus the giant K. I like to imagine they are having a lot of disco's up there.

Tonight I can hear the planes passing over the city as they go to the left to the airport a few miles outside of the city. They blink softly as they pass. It's a relatively clear night, no stars yet I know they are on the horizon waiting for the city to sleep so they can come out. The longer I sit here the brighter they will get. Often the planets are the first things I see in the night sky.

I can hear the German Shepherd two lots to the right barking at the tuk tuk that is in the street dropping someone or something off. It's not late enough for them to let the dog out to stretch his legs and he'll run down the road with his toenails clicking on the street. I think I hear someones radio playing Khmer music and a child in the distance crying. The music isn't annoying, I find it soothing to have playing very softly in the distance. I definitely hear some whistles, they must be from the guards outside of Royal Mart helping the cars to pull out into the street.

The wind is not blowing strongly so my wind chimes are silent. It's a gentle breeze, enough so my hair flutters gently on the sides. A car passes, a moto passes and it's quite enough again that I can hear a dish and cutlery across the street and voices coming from the street as the neighbors across the road arrive at home. The neighbors across the road on the third floor is still sitting outside. They are often outside, I'm not sure how many men live there but there must be several. They like to sit outside in the evening and listen to music on their phones while they smoke and drink their evening beer.

A street over is a Family KTV, which means it's a karaoke club, advertising for families, I only hope that they are the good kind. It's sign on the top floor is on, the boarder lights softly changing and blinking in their rhythmic pattern. The top corner lights have fallen so the boarder isn't complete, I try not to stare because it will only bother me and make me want to fix it.

I can see the space in the neighborhood buildings where the Russian Market/Toul Tom Pong Market is. The lights from the night market are glowing and I can see the Long After Dark bar that over looks the night market. 

As far as cities go this one is okay, it's an equal blend of friend and enemy. . .my frenemy.

Comments

Christoffer said…
I thinks it’s eslecially interesting to read about your neighbors, the types of people in your vicinity.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.