What I Do...

There have been some questions asked as to what I actually do here, so I will tell you in a short blog.
I am in charge of developing some programs here at the hospital. James has an idea to start a program for pregnant mothers and their new born children. The program would require them to come in for 4 or so prenatal visits and that they have the birth of their child here. They would be required to bring in the child every other month for a check up and vaccinations. If they kept all their appointments than everything would be free. The children would be vaccinated for parasites and malaria up until the age of 5. The program would need to be funded by donations and sponsorships. I’ll work on that part second. So right now I am working on writing a paper that proves we need this to help save the lives of the children. I am working on getting all the statistics for the hospital from last January till now. Along with questionnaires to expectant mothers and mothers whose children are in the hospital I will compile all the info to give as proof that there is a need for this. That’s my big job.
I also want to help find an NGO (non government organization) to help fund the AIDS/HIV program because right now the meds are all free but the hospital is footing the bill. And please! I am in Africa there has got to be some agency that will help with AIDS.
The third program I am working with is the TB program. I am doing DOT, Direct Observation Therapy, and that includes me handing out meds to the patience that are in their first 2 months of the program. Because they have to live here so we can make sure they are taking their medicine then after their 2 months they go home and take the meds for 2 months at a time then come back every two months to get more meds for a total of 8 months. All the meds are free and they even get free food while there have to live here. The things I am trying to work on with them is education and helping them understand why it is so important that they finish taking there medication. Because if they don’t hten the disease will morph and become drug resistant even more and that is damaging not only to them but to anyone else who gets TB.
Those are my projects. If anything doesn’t make sense please leave a comment with a question and I will explain it better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.