T-day (Thanksgiving)

Well. I know this is a while after thanksgiving but the stupid email has been down and so it wouldn’t have gone out till now anyway. . . so get over it :o)

The day began not as I would have guessed. Liz and I had postponed our wed morning prayer walk to Thursday because of me being EXAUSTED with malaria and all. So it was a really nice way to start the day in all reality of it. Then once I was at the hospital Hans asked me if I could cover his English classes because he was going to drive Pierre to Lie for some meds. I was saddened that I wasn’t asked to go as well, but I told myself it’s not the end of the world and I got to go to Kelo the few days before. So I told Hans sure I’d teach. I couldn’t go down to Anne and Richards till after 1 pm anyway because of a meeting Hans and I had with Anatole. So after I gave out TB meds I started figuring out what I would teach.

It had been almost 4 years since I taught English before! Not that I forgot any of the material :o) But needless to say I remember the pains of teaching and frustrations of lesson plans. Lucky for me I only had to sub. It all went well I taught them how to say, “happy thanksgiving” and other random things. I had fun and enjoyed getting to see the school closer up.

After the meeting with Anatole and Hans I went back to the American house to clean up so I could look nice and wear my new skirt my mom had sent me in a box I got from Kelo the Tues before. I must admit by then nothing was going as I wanted it to. I was grouchy from my meds and malaria and I wanted everything to be happy and fun, but the air just wasn’t quite there for me. But I kept on and I kept praying for a good evening. So Liz, Hans and I finally were all ready to go and we load up the truck to take us and the food over to Anne’s. I feel pretty because I have showered and am wearing nice clothes and I am really hungry. That’s always a good sign.

We get there we start to prep the rest of the food. Who doesn’t love prepping food for a big thanksgiving feast?! We were making coleslaw, green salad, stuffing, chicken, gluten, cranberry sauce, yams, mash potatoes and so much more! Esther, Liz and I helped Anne prep while James, Sarah, Hans and Richard were talking in the living room. It was fun because we found an old Super bowl game and they had it on in the background for a while. Just to give it all a bit of atmosphere. I loved it! Then when everything was all done we sat down at the table to eat. There were 9 of us Anne, Richard, James, Sarah, Hans, Liz, Esther, me and Allison (the girl visiting Anne and Richard). What a jolly group we made to! It seems that every time you get any of us 4 SMs together there will always be laughter, then if you add James you are guaranteed laughter. The whole thing was great. I might have been afraid of the day being ruined and not fun or in the right mood at all, but I was wrong. Thanksgiving lived up to its reputation of being a great holiday for family and friends. We even went around the circle to carry on my tradition of telling what you are thankful for. Sure it took us a long time because there were people who couldn’t stop laughing at the funny parts, myself included. At one point James was laughing so hard we all caught on and couldn’t stop, then Liz and I couldn’t breath and there were tears streaming down our faces. I must admit I haven’t been that scared to breathe while laughing in a LONG time.

God is good, He gave us a great thanksgiving and He helped show us that we have a great big supportive family here in Tchad who cares for each of us. And He proved all of my fears wrong.

Happy Thanksgiving. Maybe one day we can all sit around my table and share a meal together. In fact when I get back to the states we should all have a Thanksgiving meal!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.