Is sweat sweet?

Dusk was here and I was awkwardly chatting with two men who stopped by my compound to . . . I guess talk to me? Not sure, but I welcomed the interruption of someone from the hospital arriving asking me to come to the bloc de oporatiour to help with an operation. What a way to start the Sabbath, with a Friday night surgery.

It was an intense operation. His stomach was septic we had to do several bowel reconstructions, which cuts out dead intestines and puts it together again. The intestines were blown up like a balloon. To bad he waited several days to come in. To bad it was a roasty toasty OR that didn’t have AC, only a regular circulating fan, and was filled with 1 surgeon, 2 assistants, 2 anesthetists, and 1 circulating nurse and 1 sick person.

It was all caused by appendicitis. The surgery was long for many reasons. The guy was a drinker so we gave a whole lot or ketamine to knock him out and even then he was tense. We kept finding more bowls to fix. When putting the bowel back in it was like putting a Jack ‘n’ the box away. Cram it back in. He had tubes everywhere when Bond closed him back up and got him stable. We were all bathed in sweat. I’m not kidding. My entire scrub shirt was wet through and through. My pants were well on their way to being drenched too. I’ve come out of wet caves with less water on me. I glistened on my arms and face like a diamond in the afternoon sun. The strange part is how often can you say that when you go outside into 90F weather you shiver because your cold? Well we did. Our bodies tried to create a cooling system and it felt good. Until you had to step back into the OR to finish cleaning up.

All in all: Sweat is sweet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.