June 8

Camping! I went camping!
We packed up stuff for an overnight- me, my log sleeve t-shirt, hoodie, blanket, nalgine, sleeping bag, and I was wearing a tank top, swimsuit and shorts. Who needs more it’s only 1 night. We packed up some food from the kitchen as well purposely forgetting plastic wear :o). It added to the adventure of it all. We canoed out to the gold mine, about 1 mile away. The water was so nice and smooth, I loved it! I am a canoeing girl to the core. We get out there and gather wood for our fire then I get started building it. I only used 1 match :o) Matt Heartman helped me (but I did the main work he just gave me some twigs to burn). So we built it from team work BUT I did the initial start up. I then went swimming – it was beautiful out, clear sky, big moon. Amazing. I brought microwaveable popcorn with us and a big pot to cook it in. While we were on shore eating supper our camp ranger doubted the ability to cook it, simply didn’t think it could be done. Well you know me, always eager to be proven right. So out at the fire I was excited to show off more of my knowledge from Tchad. So I popped 2 bags of popcorn. I opened them up put the butter from the bag in the pot, then kept it on the coals, once the few cornels had popped that I had in there to test the heat I knew it was ready so I put the rest in to pop. I kept it moving over the coals the entire time. It worked great! I didn’t live in Tchad for nothing!
Anyway the adventure really only begins here because shortly after the popcorn it starts to rain! I was enjoying the rain, but then it was getting colder so we all gathered around our fire to stay warm. When it didn’t let up for a while the call was made to head back and send the pontoon to get the stuff. The problem was we had 4 horses that were brought over. Emily, Laura B (who was visiting for the weekend) a CIT and I were chosen to ride them back to camp bareback. We almost rode that night but decided to go in daylight instead. So we stayed back. It was so much fun. Just the adventure I wanted :o). I woke up smelling like mildew because I went to bed wet and it was gently raining on us through the night and I slept at the edge of our tarp tent. But I honestly loved every minute of it. Africa helped to change me. I’m so much more confident about myself and my survival instincts. I survived the night because it’s not nearly as rough as I know it could be.
Thank you Father for the adventure of it all :o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.