East Berlin, Germany

Where I am sleeping these nights was once way off limits to me as an American. I’m not talking pay money for a visa, I’m talking cross that line and get shot, off limits. Also I’m not talking centries ago, decades ago, I’m alking since I was a child. I am talking 20 years ago, East Germany. The history of this place is so recent, these families here were at once time restricted from so many things. They couldn’t have nice things, buy new items, eat whatever they wanted. Can you imagine that? Yet it was so real. I think I would have been there when the wall fell, I would have been shouting for freedom for the East Germans, if I had been more than 6 years old.

Makes me wonder what injustices are going on today that I should fight for.

Arriving in Berlin was great. We walked around for about an hour until our train came to take us home. The snow was gently falling on Germany’s capital as we walked. Just a little over a month ago some of the worlds greatest leaders were standing in the same places that I was as they honored the people who helped with the collapse of the wall and those who gave their lives trying to escape to freedom.

Comments

Andrea said…
Wow. That's all I can really say to this.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.