My new answer to the BIG questions in life.

"Many are unable to make definite plans for the future. Their life is unsettled. They cannot discern the outcome of affairs, and this often fills them with anxiety and unrest. Let us remember that the life of God's children in this world is a pilgrim life. We have not wisdom to plan our own lives. It is not for us to shape our future. 'By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.' Hebrews 11:8.

Christ in His life on earth made no plans for Himself. He accepted God's plans for Him, and day by day the Father unfolded His plans. So should we depend upon God, That our lives may be the simple outworking of His will. As we commit our ways to Him, He will direct our steps.

Too many, in planning for a brilliant future, make an utter failure. Let God plan for you. As a little child, trust to the guidance of Him who will 'keep the feet of His saints.' 1 Samuel 2:9.
God never leads His children otherwise than they would choose to be led, if they could see the end from the beginning and discern the glory of the purpose which they are fulfilling as co-workers with Him."


This saves so many sleepless nights, it saves so many panicky moments of awkward questions it means so much. It means it is okay that I have no answer to give my family when I go home at Christmas. It means I don't have to have a 5 year plan, I don't have to have my life planed out, I don't know how it will all end. PRAISE GOD. It means I can take things one day at a time, take the step that God shows me when it comes and not before. God is directing my steps and I trust with the faith of a little child.

I'm excited, as usual, about my future. What is it you ask? I have no idea, at least no idea that is set in stone. And I'm excited about it. I am listening to God's voice and I've been hearing some things, it just takes time and that's okay with me. I'm a bit like Moses and need some more convincing. But I am committing my ways to Him, He will direct my steps.

I hope and pray that you read this quote and are reassured that it's okay to not know. It's okay to take it one day at a time, it's okay to live a pilgrim life.

Comments

Ali Blake said…
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS BLOG.
I have been struggling so much with people pressing me for what I am doing over winter break, next year, when I graduate, and for the rest of my life! I seriously might print this out and hand it to people when they give me a weird look when I tell them I have no clue. I am so excited that God has a plan and I LOVE surprises, and his surprises are always the best! Love you Sonya! I admire you and your pilgrim life!!


Ok.. fine I will go study now! You shouldn't post such awesome blogs if you want me to study!!! :)
Anonymous said…
Fellow Pilgrim, Thank you for posting this :)
Andrea said…
Preach it, sistah. I'm really glad you found this quote, and I will be referring others to it. :)
kessia reyne said…
WORD.

Thank you, Sonya-- for encouraging, for validating, for guiding.
Dominic said…
What an amazing God we serve! He knows what is best for us and obviously it is NOT knowing now what you or I will be doing in 5 years ;-)
lets do every little daily duty as an act of worship to God and He will lead us forward!

Dominic

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.