Baking.

I love to bake. I love baking cookies, cakes, pastries, cupcakes, loafs. . . (well not so much a loaf) but I do love to bake.

It's fun to mix all the sugar, flour (whole and wheat) with butter, egg substitute and spices. I enjoy tasting the batter, the dough and the filling. I am not a big fan of rolling out dough or cutting it to the right shape but I enjoy filling it with goodies or pouring it into fun cake pans.

What makes the difference between cooking and baking is the part where I put the item into theoven.

Ahhh. It is here that I learn to rest. To wait. To clean up my dishes -- because I have the time. Usually there is plenty of time to clean up and sit and wait. It is in this waiting that I can relax. There is nothing more I can do to the dough, batter or filling. It is wait time. Just wait.

I think I like it because I struggle with the waiting part in my personal life. I have a hard time putting everything I have been working on with God in my life into His hands. All my education, my heart, my jobs, my passion, my wants for a future, my friendships and my hopes are all mixed up in the bowl, poured into the cake pan and given to God to bake and now I sit and wait. It's wait time. Just wait.

Andrew Murray, in his book, Waiting on God, has so many wonderful things to say that encourage me to wait.

  • Let the heart wait at times in perfect silence and quiet; in its hidden depths God will work. Be sure of this, and just wait on Him. Give your whole heart, with its secret workings, into God's hands continually. 46
  • This is the blessedness of waiting upon God, that it takes our eyes and thoughts away from ourselves. 47
  • Nothing was ever so sure as that waiting on God will bring us untold and unexpected blessing. 40
  • Resting in Him is nothing but being silent unto Him, still before Him. Having our thoughts and wishes, our fears and hopes, hushed into calm and quite in that great peace of God which passes all understanding. 52
So bake away God, I will be here waiting to know what to do next.

    Comments

    Andrea said…
    Oui, Lexi. You sure do learn bon lessons in the bakery. I think you should think about starting a wedding cake business, and look for a guy named Dan...

    Heehee..but really, good lessons about waiting. Thanks for sharing.
    buddy,
    did you read the poem i posted on 1-23-11??? called "ah, now i see?"
    you'll LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

    love you buddy!
    see you this weekend? he he
    buddy,
    did you read the poem i posted on 1-23-11??? called "ah, now i see?"
    you'll LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

    love you buddy!
    see you this weekend? he he
    Kristin said…
    I love to bake as well, so I really love this analogy. Thanks for sharing :) Hopefully when I bake now it will remind me to wait and trust in God.
    Paulette said…
    This had me look at cooking and baking from a different angle. Nice twist.
    Jana May said…
    I like the thoughts you provoke :)

    God's timing is perfect. He will never overbake us dry or underbake us raw. God's timing is often what leaves me the most in awe of Him, or at least what I can see most clearly.

    Thanks, friend :)

    Popular posts from this blog

    Tales from an exile

    Phase 2

    Almost nearly perfectly content.