My first time as an adult woman

What a funny title? But really it's true. Here's the scoop:

This last weekend I read in my Bible in Hebrews 13:2 about how we should treat those who come within our gates kindly and feed
them and show them hospitality because we could in fact be entertaining angels. It made me think about the men who had been at my house working to make the topography map, I hadn't fed them or even asked if they wanted water and they were working hard all day long. So I thought to myself I want to be the kind of person who gives to people without asking for something back. I know that it's what God would want me to do.

Then today I had the chance to do that, the men came back to finish working and I made rice pilaf for them. I cut and cooked the tomatoes, garlic, ginger, onions and green peppers to put in the rice. Then I brought out the water for the hands just like had been taught, and the only chairs I had (two big plastic ones) and I fed the 4 men who were working at my house all day. It was fun and I enjoyed serving them food.
The view from right inside the second gate.
It made me feel like a proper African woman. It took extra work to cook all of it and now I don't have any more rice but it's okay because I did what God asked of me. To feed those within my gate.

Comments

Marilee said…
Sonya thanks for reminding me that the verses in the Bible aren't just for reading, they are for doing....
Is the building your home? Love the pic. So peaceful.
Anonymous said…
Oh that looks so peaceful Sonya!!!
Andrea said…
Wow! That's so cool! Maybe working in the kitchen at wawona was good training. :)
Ansley said…
Is that the house where you live?! It's beautiful!
kessia reyne said…
that's awesome, Sonya. I like that! I want to be hospitable too.
Elisabeth said…
I LOVE this! What a beautiful example!

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.