Onesmo my rafiki kidogo.

Onesmo, the neighbor kid who's my rafiki kidogo, little friend, and his dad is the gardener/guard, came over again Wednesday after I got back from the market, to finish coloring his picture I gave him on Tuesday. I had given him a blank piece of paper to draw on with my measly 8 off-brand crayons I bought at the airport on my way over. He asked me to draw him an ua, however he asked me in Kiswahili and I had no idea what he was talking about, I just heard sounds, vowels and consonants mixed together. Thanks to my trusty dictionary and me repeating some 'words' back to him to figure out the main meaning I learned the word for flower, ua. So today, he was back to finish coloring the ua I drew for him.

What a funny little boy! The gate was closed and since he is only about 6 he couldn't reach the bar to open it he found an entrance for small people in the bushes. (I realized it when his mother was calling to him and he had to get me to open the gate so he could get out.) I honestly have no idea what he is saying most of the time! He talks so fast. However I was able to understand he wanted a glass of maji, water. I can't believe he doesn't get upset when I don't understand him the first 100 times.  He is very patient with me and generous. He gave me a zawadi, gift, of a square of gum on Tuesday and a package of two glucose crackers (what a funny thing to label cookies—glucose!).  He likes to pop over after he gets home from school around 11 and see what's going on and if he can help his dad with things. All in all I'm glad to have him around. He keeps me company and helps me learn Kiswahili.

 

Comments

Marilee said…
Who knew that your patient, private God-sent language
instructor would be 6 years old!
Andrea said…
That's so cute that you have a little rafiki. Especially one who can be your tutor. Hakuna matata..has he mentioned that one yet? :)

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.