Music

I was inspired to listen to some music from Tanzania.



 I hadn't liked it while I was there,  it drove me nuts. But if you think about listening to it ALL THE TIME you too would go nuts. Now, however, when I push the play button on the youtube video and the funny notes hit my ears, I smile. The words are familiar and they bring with them memories. Memories of walking down the road to catch a Daladala into town. Memories of walking around the market looking for tengos or a memory of falling asleep to Mary blasting these songs into the night. They remind me of Sabbath afternoons with my neighbors, Tanzania Adventist Secondary School, playing their afternoon sound track over the speakers at the church. Their personal gift to the neighborhood.

Time has gone by, some memories have faded away
There are others who are finding a place to stay

The thoughts of laughter, giggles and smiles
Brings it all back in a flash flood that covers miles

The glimpses of disapointment, hurt and pain
They're still there, but not to make a deep dark stain.


Comments

Anthony said…
live moves on. and go is a hate word.
Andrea said…
Funny thing, a couple days ago I found a Yapese music video, and I was thinking the same thoughts. It cracks me up because it has so much Yap in it--from stone money to betelnut...and maybe a little joint smoking? I'm going to assume it's tobacco: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPa96nHek1s&feature=share&list=PLD5C72C817B87E3FC

I know what memories are like.
Anonymous said…
Well there are some melodies that some of us can be take only in small doses! I understand....

This one sounds happy--of course I don't understand one word.
Marilee

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.