Summer Lovin'

For the entire month of July I have been on the road. I took the month to cram in as many family and friends as I could. I'm quite impressed with my journey and thought I'd re-cap it all.

Started off visiting my good friend Rachel at Loma Linda University, where I promptly got bit by a big dog. (See photo a for evidence) Side note: I'm okay and I did report the dog etc, etc.

Right after the bite.
The bruise got really gnarly!

After a day or so.

More Mexican food please!
From there on the 4th of July I flew to Texas where I chill'axed with the fambam. I saw my girlfriends from high school, a friend from camp and the livestock at my dad's house. I also tried to eat my fill of Mexican food as I don't think it will be quite the same if I can find a restaurant that serves it in Cambodia. My mom and I adventured to San Marcos where we both got henna on our hands.
My pops, and yeah, he looks like Lazar Wolf from Fiddler.
More on that later. . . 
New mural on home town building. 






It's always been a challenge to take a group shot.
I'm so proud of my high school friends!
Mom and I look'n fresh and relaxed. 

In the middle of the month I started the crazy part of the month, I went up to Southern for some meetings with the Global Community Development masters program at Southern Adventist University. Those meetings were AMAZING. I was able to do some networking, brainstorming and overall excitement building. I hope to work more with the department and collaborate with them in the near future!

From Collegedale, Tn I headed out to Orlando, Florida. There I saw family and a really good friend from college.
BEN! Almost 10 years is toooooo long!
My time there was short and I soon found myself on the road to Starr, South Carolina. It was there that my pyro cousin put on a pyro musical in my honor. IT WAS AWESOME! I can't wait till I visit again and it's even longer! I was really excited when my Fro-Yo Friend came down from DC to visit for a day and a half too! I win!

From there I drove through Asheville, NC to visit another friend who has been a cheerleader for the adventures in my life, Marile. We had lunch at a GREAT Greek place and then I hit the road to make it to Nashville, TN before the traffic really got nuts!

Thank you for the love and support Marile!! Here's your personal shout out ;) 
Nashville, Tn was a breath of fresh air, and not just because we watched the new Star Trek movie with Chris Pine, but because of my partner in party planning Chelsea was there. Our time is never long enough! If you ever need an EPIC party or summer camp programed out we might be willing to work for you . . . if the price is right!
Squeezed in a visit with a high school/college friend too!
                                           
Pastor Chelsea hard at work.
Katie's little girl took this! She's only 3!
From Nashville I went down to Collegedale, Tn again to visit with friends, meet one of my favorite authors, Grace Thornton who wrote this book: I Don't Wait Anymore, and I'm certain we are now best friends, right Grace?! If you get the chance read the book, it's amazing. While in Chatt-town I crammed in as many friends and family I could in two days. I think I did well! I even got a visit it to my favorite bakery, Piece of Cake Bakery, the Little Debbie outlet store and the Samaritan Center! It was a busy two days.







From there I went and visited the greatest camp family since Moses and Zipporah, the Wood family. They were at Camp Alamisco when their kids were just tiny things. Now look at them! Yowza!!


The great Maria Sager!
I went from Canton, GA to another little town outside of Atlanta to visit Jacqui who is a great photographer and friend from College. We were able to see the musical In the Heights at the Aurora Theater and were BLOWN away by the talent and music! My old theater director, Maria Sager is also staring in it as Camila and is AMAZING. If you get the chance PLEASE go and see the show. It's by the same writer who wrote Hamilton and it's so moving. Jacqui, Scupper (whom I like to call Scrappy or Scuppy) and I went for a sweaty, humid walk and then I found myself having to head out again.

From there I turned in my rental car at the Atlanta airport and then stayed the night at Maria and her husband's Atlanta apartment. We watched the Great British Bake Off, which for the record is the best reality show and the US could learn a thing or two from their style.

The next morning, early, I headed out for California. So long humidity, afternoon rain showers and the open road!

I made it home the next day after a night spent in Bakersfield with family to break up the drive. After  driving over 2,000 miles I finally made it home to my soft and squishy bed. Ahhh, home. . . for less than two weeks before I move to Asia.

Comments

Christoffer said…
Good report! What a crazy trip. And bruise, holy cow.
Andrea said…
That pyro musical WAS pretty epic. Glad you got a good summary written for posterity.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.