Q & A from Jacqui

My good friend Jacqui emailed me some questions the other week. I answered them and we figured she might not be the only one to wonder about these things so here they are for general consumption. If you have any questions please feel free to email them all to me and I'll peck away at them and share them with you and anyone else who would like to read them. It's fun to answer questions en mass.

Enjoy!

Here's my crack at your questions:

Were you making some sort of carrot stew? No. I should have moved those carrots because they were my flat mates. She was cleaning them. We put veggies in water and vinegar to help clean them. She has gotten food poisoning a LOT. Not me, my stomach is steel. . . except with milk. I've been having some issues with milk. boo.

What local food are you learning to love/hate?  I am LOVING this mushroom/tofu dish from the corner restaurant that we all hang out at a lot in the evenings. The guys here don't ever cook and it's cheaper for a family to eat there instead of cooking a meal. It's only $2! I eat there every now and then. 

How are the Khmai lessons going?  I haven't taken any formal lessons but you know me, I LOVE to talk! So I think for only 3 weeks not to shabby. I can say a few phrases and people smile, laugh and are generally amused by my cuteness ;) 

Does it feel like home yet? If not, when does that usually happen?  It kinda dose feel like home. I am finding my place here. I came in and decorated the flat which was nice that no one else had! I put pictures up and all sorts of stuff. I need to find a few more things for the place and then I'll do a photo shoot! Maybe I can aim for next weekend. I have always believed that it takes at least 6 weeks for a place to become home. Someone told me that the summer before college and it's always stuck in my head for a finish line. It seems to be on a good track for that. It also helps when I am no longer the new person and I can show someone else around. I don't get lost anymore, not really anyway, and that helps me feel like I belong.

Just how hot IS it?  This was the perfect time to come because it's the rainy season going into "winter" and it's perfect. The cloud coverage really helps keep it cool. There have been a few times and places where I'm ROASTING but mostly it passes with I go to a different place (shade, off the ferry, etc) Right now I'm wet from riding my bike in the rain and it's currently raining and a slight breeze is coming in the kitchen door (along with some yummy smells) and I'm chilly :) It feels deeeeeelightful! I might make a cup of tea!! Which I did the last night! Yum!! Your pumpkin spice chi is a MUST right now :) PERFECT!!!!! 

Does rainy season make it impossible to drive anywhere?  So far the rainy season has only been for bits of time in the afternoon. However this weekend has been quite rainy. I had JUST made it home yesterday and taken my shower (I was ridding back from church and it's 5 mi one way so I was quite sweaty but I loved it!) when it POURED. It even came in sideways and we had to close the glass door on the outside of our screen metal door. In a car you can drive, in a tuk tuk you can manage but on a bike, motor or not, it's an adventure for SURE. (I'm using a lot of caps! Hahaha)

What local customs are really funny?  Hmmmm. The word for older person, like Sir, is Bong. It kinda makes me giggle. Also the word for thank you is "Acoon" and it always makes me start singing Hakoona mattata. haha.

Have you found a good donut place? ( you could probably sell your beignets!)  Nah. Honestly nothing is as good as Ra's donuts in Oakhurst. I did try a sesame sweet roll type thing. (side note I jus went and put on my light sweater. It's much nicer now) I am drinking a lot more coffee. They have a great iced coffee for $.75 on the street and they use sweeten condensed milk. YUUUUMMY. 

Are there giant bugs in your room?  No giant bugs but riding home from a friends house Fri night I saw a whole PACK of roaches on the street. It was gross.

Have you decorated your place yet?  YES! I love decorating. In fact word got out quick that I made the place homey. It's gotten compliments on the coziness of it. I'll get pictures soon. I used one of the maps you gave me forever ago! 

When are you getting a moto bike too?  I'll be getting one eventually. Maybe after the long season of teams that are going to be coming in from now until Feb, with a small break in October and another small break in December. For now RAW has one I can use. I did get enough money for a moped/scooter but I think I want to get a dirt bike so I can have more versatility and if I'm honest I want to keep up with the boys and prove that I can do it it. . . I'm such a younger sibling! Hahahaha. But honestly a dirt bike will allow met to go more places in all types of weather. So we'll see. I'd need to raise a bunch more so that might be awhile.  

Are you going to take some time lapses?  Yes. I have played around with some different ones. I'm wanting to get a cool one of walking in the mud. OH! I did get a cool video of a snail getting roasted and it splashing on the camera. I should post that on ig. It's gross.

Have you found any pets yet?  My neighbors are here until December and they have fish. When they leave I will adopt them! Hurrah! For free :) Two white ones and two gold ones, they are gold fish. They will be a fun addition to the flat.

Are you going to get malaria there too?  hahaha. We know if anyone can I can! Hopefully not. I don't think I'll be that far out in a village for long enough. We'll just have to wait and see. . . .

Are you ever going to post some of your polaroids on your blog????????????  My old ones? Sure! I should! I have them up on the wall of my teeny tiny room. I am taking one of each person to put on around the map in the living room. 

Are you going to post more videos? (yes yes yes)  I need to figure out how to. I think I'll just need to start uploading them to youtube and going from there. 

How is work going?? I love it. I'm busy, people are great, my ideas are being accepted and moved forward, my opinion matters, I'm doing a lot of research into other projects and ideas right now. School is on break for another two weeks before the teachers get back for pre-week. I have a team coming in a week. I'm really excited about the team coming. It's a group of Sophomores (or as the Aussies call them, year 10) in high school from Perth area. I'm going to be a team logistics leader. I'll be getting to work with some of my favorite people, so I know it will be fun. 

Comments

Mabel said…
This is a good idea posting questions. That way things are more direct. It all sounds so fascinating! Love Mom

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.