November 21, 2018

I got back from Mondulkiri yesterday. It was a great Teacher Training and I can see some differences in the classrooms, which is quite encouraging.

The best thing about today was the Nativity scene I made today!!! It is incredible. I am so proud of it. Here is a picture.

I bought these horrific little people key chains in the market that I feel like I actually rescued from a horrible fate of the rubbish bin in some first world country. I took the key ring off them, cleaned their little faces off and added some Bible wardrobe pieces. I was quite pleased with myself by this point and just getting going too!

My next goal was the baby Jesus, I rolled some fabric that I thought would work well but realized it needed a head, the tiny littlest shepherd volunteered his leg for baby Jesus, so he has a sleepy little head now.

Then I hunted around for what I could use as a manger and found a little container that I put some lichen from Oakhurst in to act as his straw for the manger. By now I was getting quite giddy and excited about how awesome it was turning out.

It still lacked a proper 'home'. I knew it would go on my awesome fireplace but it needed a stand or a stable. Then I spotted an old box that had held cupcakes from Bloom (if you ever visit you will learn of the amazingness of a Bloom cupcake). I saw it was the perfect size and had been saved for such a time as this! I covered the blue with left over brown 'brick' tape from the fireplace and it was perfect! It just needed the star for the top. I took the plastic window cover from the box, cut out a star and painted it with gold paint leftover from another volunteer. THE STABLE WAS PERFECT.

Alas, there were no animals, what would the shepherds shepherd and how would the wise men arrive?! Then I remembered my great friend Jacqui had given me some really cool wooden animals. So the animals came to Jesus' birth. The wise men rode the polar bear, American buffalo and moose. While the bunny, fox, squirrel and bird were already at the stable the shepherds brought the giraffe,  elk and gazelle. Even the Australian kuala (not bear) came to visit baby Jesus.

It may be my favorite nativity I have ever owned. I'll be on the look out for anything else that wants to join the celebration of Jesus' birth.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.