November 28, 2018

Let’s talk about period cramps.

It’s not often talked about by anyone in my mixed circle of friends. Well, I talk about it among female friends but not in a bigger circle. I’ve been struggling these last few years to not feel ashamed of having cramps, pms or my period in general. It’s not like I did something wrong to have it. It’s not like I’m the only one on earth who does. It’s not like it’s unnatural or anything and I think it would be benifitial for others to understand it.

So, here we are.

Let’s talk.

I dislike cramps more than anything on earth. They weren’t always so painful. They got more so once I turned 30. There have been seasons in my life where I have medicated every 6 to 8 hours to avoid crippling pain. I’ve woken up in the middle of the night and not been able to move because it was excruciating and they had already gotten so bad that taking anything for the pain was pointless. I simply had to distract myself and wait it out. I’ve prayed for a meeting to be over quickly so I can cycle home and hide in a dark, cool room.

For those of you who have never had a cramp here are some ideas: imagine having food poisoning and your stomach is cramping up and you need to go to the toilet so you can feel better.

Imagine, it is a lovely Sunday and you are going for a long run along a country road and 5 miles in you get cramps and side stitches but there is nothing you can do to stop the pain and you are closer to the end of your run than the start so you just have to keep existing and going on your run despite the pain.

Imagine, being woken up with a migraine and food poisoning and a side stitch from running even though you aren’t running.

Every month isn’t horrible, I know it depends on food, excersize etc. This month hasn’t been the worst but it is still very inconvenient. When the cramps came luckily I wasn’t having to talk to anyone or stand in front of people. I could sit in the back of the classroom and breath through the pain. My whole body tenses up and is tight. There have been times where I get really hot and then really cold, this time, thankfully, it just hurt. During the worst of it I long for the pain to let go, for my body to relax and unclench. Thankfully there was a sitting toilet tucked in the back of the school that I could go hide in, is that too much information? It’s hard to tell when I am writing this alone and not actually telling you to your face-the beauty of the internet. I was grateful for my painkillers and sitting down. I am grateful that the worst should be done by now and I am grateful that it was an easy month.

The best part of all of it is when the pain has gone away and my body relaxes and I feel every muscle let go and breath. It is the best feeling in the world, almost as good as putting on dry under clothes after swimming in the lake all day.

Well, there you have it. I’ve talked about period cramps in a ‘public’ setting. No one seemed to have died, no one fainted from my impropriety, and I am still a genteel daughter of the South. My hope is you have a tiny picture of the horrors of my uterus shedding it’s lining. Wait, was that it? Was that the line? Honestly, I can never tell. This wasn’t even a squeamish post, much calmer than the toilet one. We didn’t even talk about blood or irrational emotions.

Thank you, this has been fun and educational.

Comments

Andrea said…
Whoa. You do realize this is going to my mom’s inbox, right? And my parents have this dinner ritual of reading aloud your latest blog. So...if you could handle that (false) mental image without getting squeamish then I’d say you’re ready to teach some 4th and 5th graders about the birds and the bees.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.