November 3, 2018

In the stories of my Cambodia weather is a central character. Whether he would be the antagonist or protagonist is yet to be known.

The weather of Cambodia at it's best.

Wind has become my closest friend, I open my apartment windows right when I get home to let him settle into each corner. There are windows on three of the four walls and it conveniently lets Wind in on one side so that it can explore the rooms and leave on the other side. With my new apartment there are no neighbor buildings to block my growing friendship with Wind. In fact I sometimes, because Wind is so strong I have to close windows to keep things staying on my walls. pillow.

It is not always playful and cool caresses with wind, there have been times in the middle of the night where something has been brought into my room by wind that smells as if it has been dead awhile or perhaps sitting with death for a few days. There is no way to get the smell out other than to wait for Wind to remove it in whatever time frame he feels. I do enjoy the mornings and evenings when Wind brings the smell of garlic or sweet bread being cooked, those moments are much more appreciated.

Wind does not always stay in the area, he does not ask what I want or take into account the needs of others. There are nights where I long for his presence in my apartment, I morn the loss of the gentle cool caress on my skin. Instead I must carry the burden of Heat alone. On those nights Heat settles in for a turn and brings such discomfort, Heat comes when not wanted and leaves in the night after the sweat soaks into my pillow.

Wind does not always go everywhere. He does not seem to enjoy  Koki in the province of KratiĆ©. Heat is much more present and active there. Heat will fight for your attention and all of your affection. He is constantly on your mind and you can't stop the gifts he brings--dehydration, burn, and heat stroke. Wind is nowhere in site and Heat is needy. I have been on a team trip and every 5 minutes we had to take a break in the shade just to try and ignore Heat.  EVERY. FIVE. MINUTES. Heat is a bit clingy.

The place that Wind does love to go is Senmonorom in Mondulkiri province. Right now it is Wind's moment to shine. He will dance daily with dirt and leaves. The trees move to the tempo that he sets. The nights are filled with his songs and dances, causing me to need a blanket, a genuine soft, fuzzy blanket.

On the best of days both Heat and Wind play well together, they both get my attention and we have a day that is full of excitement, mystery and life. I have learned to adapt to their needs, I can prevent the burn of Heat and embrace the dance of Wind. I supposed weather must be both the protagonist and the antagonist, you need one to understand the other.

Mondulkiri, where Wind plays for days.


The days when I walk outside you can feel the perfectness in the air. Everything seems right. Just enough clouds to cover the sun, just enough wind to caress your skin and it is a perfect mix of morning and happiness. Those days are my favorite. There could never be enough of those days.


Comments

Christoffer said…
I understand your Cambodian wind and heat better now. Nicely done. May you have many more perfect weather days and may sweet bread be ever on the breeze.
Andrea said…
Go Wind! I can see why you’re a big fan. Speaking of which...do you have any fans? Electric ones, I mean...I already know you have people fans.

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.