Run, run, run


Photos by Bethany Gerber Before the race

Musings of an international runner.

I can't believe that a year ago this month I first thought about running a half marathon. Me, the person who had never even ran a whole mile. I wrote about the fear of running and of committing to run the race. It was scary, it was big and I was sorely out of shape.
I did it though. I ran my first half marathon. Brittany helped me, I owe her lots and lots. It's amazing to go back through and read what I wrote about running, how I learned to love it and gain the energy from it. I continued to run during the summer and once I got here to Tanzania I looked for my daily route I could take. Here in Usa River I found such great places to run and run I have been. I even got Kellie, the Havilah volunteer, to run some days with me.

On the first day of meeting the volunteers from Cradle of Love I found out about a race taking place on the slopes of Kilimanjaro and I knew I was going to run another race.

WAIT. Take a moment to think about that. I wanted to run another race, the girl who couldn't even run a mile one year ago, run again?! Amazing.

However the downside to my training was that I got sick, a lot. I had malaria twice and a cold once. That totaled up to about 3.5 weeks or so of no training. Ugg. But I knew when the race day came I would have fun, run my heart out and enjoy the beauty of running on Kilimanjaro.

I did it. Sunday, February 26 at 7:30 am I ran my second half marathon. My first international race and I did great. I didn't make a new PR but I accomplished my goal: to run the whole thing. Which was no easy task for me because it was UP HILL (and by up hill I mean up Mount Kilimanjaro) the entire first half. That however made the second half beautiful. I was able to pick up speed again at the turn around point.
All four of us volunteers did great. It was several of their first races and I couldn't be prouder of my friends. Sure the Kenyan's beat us in time but we had a blast. Just the adventure of getting there was enough to last a lifetime.

I guess now that I'm an international runner I should keep it up. As if I could actually give it up now though.


If you are in town please stop by and we'll go for a run.

I'll even let you pick the route.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Ok Sonya I'll run the second half (downhill) with you! Also the yellow lettering although bright like your personality is difficult to read :(

Marilee
laSonya said…
Thanks for the tips Marilee :) I fixed it.
Brittany Lynn said…
Yes yes yes!

I am so proud of you! LOVE YOU!

Popular posts from this blog

Tales from an exile

Phase 2

Almost nearly perfectly content.